TOM Compatibility Levels
The missing documentation.
Ever since the convergence of Analysis Services (Tabular) and Power BI (Premium) has started, the Analysis Services API surface has evolved rapidly. New versions of the TOM client libraries are being released frequently, and new Power BI (Premium) features introduce new TOM Compatibility Levels which must be configured at the database in order to enable certain features in the underlying engine.
However, official documentation of those feature sets and the corresponding compatibility levels and NuGet versions is very sparse.
Using the reflection approach described in this article, this page provides "The Missing Documentation" - a chronological listing of TOM features by compatibility level. Major features are annotated with related articles and blog posts.
- Measure.FormatStringDefinition: A reference to a FormatStringDefinition object owned by this Measure.
- Model.ApplyAutomaticAggregations: Retrieves automatic aggregation recommendations from Analysis Services engine and applies changes to the model.
- JsonScripter.ScriptApplyAutomaticAggregations: Scripts out a given Tabular database into an ApplyAutomaticAggregations command.
- Table.ExcludeFromAutomaticAggregations: An indication whether the table is excluded from the automatic aggregations feature.
- NamedExpression.ExpressionSource: A reference to the NamedExpression where the parameter associated with the remote model.
- NamedExpression.RemoteParameterName: The parameter name defined in source model, applicable only for proxy model and empty for local model.
- Model.MaxParallelismPerRefresh: Determines the max possible number of parallel tasks in data refresh, within the resource constraints of the hosting service.
Hybrid Tables in PBI Premium
- RefreshPolicyMode (Enum)
- RefreshPolicyMode.Import: Creates import partitions during incremental refresh.
- RefreshPolicyMode.Hybrid: Creates import and DirectQuery partitions during incremental refresh.
- PartitionSourceType.Inferred: The data in this partition is populated by executing a query generated by the system.
- InferredPartitionSource: Represents a Partition that its data will be populated by executing a query generated by the system.
- ParquetPartitionSource: Represents a Partition that its data will be populated by executing a query generated by the system.
- Table.SystemManaged: A boolean value that indicates whether the table is managed by the system. The system takes ownership of creation and deletion of such tables.
- SourceLineageTag (Column, Hierarchy, Level, Measure, NamedExpression, Table): A tag that represents the lineage of the source for the object.
- NamedExpression.ParameterValuesColumn: Client tools apply filters to this column using M parameter. The presence of this property indicates model owner allows Dax queries to override this parameter, and columns data type must match the type specified in the meta tag of the parameter.
- LineageTag (Column, Hierarchy, Level, Measure, NamedExpression, Table): A tag that represents the lineage of the object.
- Model.SourceQueryCulture: The name of the Culture used for formatting during refresh through Mashup.
- Model.DataSourceDefaultMaxConnections: DataSourceDefaultMaxConnections will be used for connections to a data source if MaxConnections is set to -1 on the data source object or if there is no corresponding data source object for the data source.
- Table.ExcludeFromModelRefresh: A boolean value that indicates whether the table is excluded from model refresh. When this is true, a refresh operation on the model would not trigger a refresh on the partitions of the table if they were already processed.
- Model.DataSourceVariablesOverrideBehavior: Controls whether this model allows data source variables to be overriden.
"Enhanced Metadata Format"
- PowerBIDataSourceVersion.PowerBI_V3: Power BI V3 Data Sources support basic partition management operations.
- Model.ForceUniqueNames: Determines whether measures can have the same names as any column in the model.
- LinquisticMetadata.ContentType: Specifies the type of the linguistic metadata from the Content property. E.g. XML or JSON.
- SummarizationType (Enum: GroupBy, Sum, Count, Min, Max): Specifies the Summarization type to be used by alternative sources' columns.
- AlternateOf: Represents a AlternativeSource object. It is a child of either a Table or a Column object.
- Column.AlternateOf: Defines the AlternateOf reference source BaseTable or BaseColumn, and the Summarization.
- Table.AlternateSourcePrecedence: The ranking or precedence used to select the alternate source table in case more than one match is found.
Dual Storage Mode
- Measure.DataCategory: Specifies the type of data contained in the measure so that you can add custom behaviors based on measure type.
Incremental Refresh Policy (Import)
- PartitionSourceType.PolicyRange: The partition uses an M expression to retrieve the data. The partition ranges are auto created based on RefreshPolicy.
- PowerBIDataSourceVersion (Enum): DataSource format version in Power BI Service.
- 1100, 1103, 1200, 1400